PipeDown

Add to that the cost of a wireless or wired smoke detector with lithium
battery (10 year life). a pair of wireless smoke detectors goes off at the
same time but are pricy at $80 a pair. Wired detectors are cheap but you
have to put in a wire which is not easy.

Hence my recommendation for yearly inspection (at beginnnig of cold season)

"Mark Monson" wrote in message
.. .
Mike wrote:
Thanks, guys.

Looks like the simplest suggested solution is to use heat tape. I was
hesitating to use them because of the safty concern. Are they safe?

No. Heat tape causes plenty of house fires.

MM

For the more complicated suggestions, I will do a little more research
to decide on one.