Carolina Breeze HVAC

"yaofeng" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am very biased in this matter as you will see if you haven't already.

This guy is an electrical engineer.

Hes not a mechanical engineer?
So, basically, you are having an electrician, do your mechanical
work....thats like hiring a plumber to do sheetrock.

I am also an engineer licensed to
practice in New Jersey. We talk the same language even though in
different disciplines. He has 35 years experience in this field. My
experience is not much different. If you ask me to provide
calculations for something I know the answer already I'll dismiss it as
a waste of time. But if I must do it, I will. There are no fewer than
four models similar to my house in the block. I trust his estimation.
Further more, is he providing far larger capacity heating and AC unit
than the previous rwo estimates? All three estimates were in the same
size range. One estimate was by PSEG. Another indication is the size
quoted in the estimates as compared to the current unit and is my
current unit adequate? Except for the less than satisfactory AC on the
second floor which he is providing a solution for we have no
complaints. This is engineering. Not science. Could all three have
made the same mistakes? I can not rule it out but it is not likely.

As someone that IS in the field of mechanical work, yes, all three can make
the same mistake, and all three can talk to you like you want to be talked
to.
If no one did a proper manual J, or T, or D, then all 3 are screwing you.
You want professional work you should expect professional work.
If no ones done their work, then its all guesstimates.

Call me pigheaded. One thing I am glad I am not in the medical
profession is the defensive medicine and measures they have to put up
in their daily work. Although they probably bring home much fatter
bacon than I. Does experience not count anymore that one has to
document and substantiate every thing he does? Does experience, trust,
relationship and credibility not count in your profession? I can not
say I will enjoy my work if I have to put up defensive medicine
(measures) on a daily basis. No matter the amount of bacon I earn.

Any legitimate contractor, will: Document every move on a job. Document
every sizing calculation to defend his position, and in most areas now, any
AC permit must have a load calculation with it, so that in the event there
is a mold claim at a later date, the contractor can show where he sized the
unit properly, and installed it correctly to code.
He will also document any changes to the original agreement with a change
order, signed by himself, the homeowner and any subs involved.
While respect, reputation and trust all factor in, you dont get that way by
not doing your job properly.
I can also tell you that depending on your region, a 15SEER unit wont be the
same size as a 10SEER on the same home.
You also can NOT use the same duct that a unit installed in 1971 used on a
new 12SEER unit, much less a 15SEER.
If you are truly an engineer, you understand why proper calculations are
important for you to have the correct information on paper when all is said
and done....therefore, going on a mans word, isnt the way you want it done.
Also, have you asked your friend how many calculations he will do AFTER the
unit is installed to insure you have the SEER you paid for? You should get a
sheet with over 100 calculations done, AFTER the unit is installed, showing
that you have the proper SEER. Meaning, in plain English, you paid for a
15SEER unit, are you really getting 15SEER, or only 10?

As a homeowner, anyone I hire to work on my home better back up their talk
with some facts. Being in a building trade, as a company owner, we get to
see alot more than the average man, in regards to home repair, and
contruction. We see some real crappy work, and we see some real nice stuff
that would be called overkill by some. One thing we have learned is that the
low bid is not always the wrong bid, nor is the high or middle bid always
the best....however, we have been, and continue to be staunch in our
position that most HVAC contractors are rapists, not all, but most, and
since the average man knows little to nothing about the trade, these guys go
out, and rip people off daily. They are not the ones you find posting in
self help groups, or in the alt.hvac group. They are the ones that charge
$300 to show up on a Sat afternoon, and do nothing. They are the ones that
charge $35 a pound for refrigerant and never use a scale....they are the
ones that think that charging a system only requires the use of a jug of R22
and a set of guages...nevermind the other 5 to 10 tools that are required to
do it right.

If you are NOT getting documentation to the size of the unit, HOW that size
was come to, the duct layout, WHY that duct layout was needed, and
documentation about the final testing, you are getting screwed. Period. You
can be happy with the price you paid, you can be happy with the
installation, you can be happy with it all without it, but bottom line,
without it, you have a POS installation, since all the legwork was not done
properly.