Upscale

"LRod" wrote in message
When? He starts the board from the front, as usual. Part way through
the cut, he moves around to the back of the saw. Yes, the work is
unattended at that point. Yes, the featherboard is holding it in
place. Yes, it's stable, and in the sense that it's not particularly

It's not completely stable. As well, I've left wood unattended for a few
seconds while the blade is spining. It's often burned the wood or otherwise
marred a clean edge.

How is that any different than the long board extending past the front
end of the fence at the beginning of the cut?

When you're in front pushing the board through, one can safely put a little
lateral pressure against the fence. When you're pulling it out from the
back, you can only grab it to pull when it's past the table edge and beyond
the fence a little after that. A little sideways lateral pulling the wrong
way and it's skewed.

How is that any different than possible pressure variables applied to
the board at the infeed side?

When you're in front, you can push it onto an outfeed table. When you're in
back, you're in front of the outfeed table aren't you? If you're pushing it
from the side, it's more of an awkward motion. (and yes, I've done it
before)

Uh, so? Do you finish all of your cuts standing in the same place you
started? I'll bet you don't. Think sheet goods.

You'd be completely wrong. I do all my cutting from one position without
moving around, but not for any of the reasons that you might consider. As
well, this is all about control. Walking around while feeding (or pulling a
board) through a tablesaw is increasing the chances for something
unfortunate to happen. And yes, I know some do it all the time.

Something else has occurred to me too. Considering the rotation direction of
the blade, unless you're using an enclosed cabinet saw with a full dust
cover over the blade, you're going be exposed to various bits of wood dust
and splinters shooting up in your direction if you're at the back of the
saw.

shop, but I wouldn't have any problem with the process described. Does
that make me an unsafe idiot? I don't think so (and no, you didn't
imply that), but there are lots of operations that can be developed
that while unfamiliar to some, are nonetheless safe and practical.

Sure there are other methods that can be considered safe, but consider this.
Tablesaws have been around for a long time. If pulling a board through a saw
was comparably safe as pushing one through, there would be quite a few more
people advocating it than there are. Until I hear from a number of those
people, your single (so far) support for pulling from the back isn't going
to cut it for me. No offence is intended against you with this statement.