David

LRod wrote:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:21:24 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message

I would say that with the featherboard the OP was using he had
sufficient control over the work (certainly as much as the Grip-Tite
guy) that he could safely go around the back of the saw and pull with
impunity.

I think there's problems with this method. At some point, he's going to have
to reach over the blade to pull the wood into the blade. (Danger 1).

When? He starts the board from the front, as usual. Part way through
the cut, he moves around to the back of the saw. Yes, the work is
unattended at that point. Yes, the featherboard is holding it in
place. Yes, it's stable, and in the sense that it's not particularly
susceptible to any forces the saw might otherwise impart while it's
not moving, safe.

If it's a long board, there's a chance the pulled part of the board will go
past the end of the fence causing the wood to skew. (Danger 2).

How is that any different than the long board extending past the front
end of the fence at the beginning of the cut? Think quality of
operator technique.

If that doesn't happen, there's similar chance a little download pressure
off the edge of the tablesaw will cause the board to lift. (Danger 3)

How is that any different than possible pressure variables applied to
the board at the infeed side? Think quality of operator technique.

There's also the possibility of him being in the way of the wood exiting
the blade, causing him to have to move his body to continue cutting. (Danger 4).

Uh, so? Do you finish all of your cuts standing in the same place you
started? I'll bet you don't. Think sheet goods.

In almost every circumstance, I can see the possibility of not having full
control of the wood as it's being cut. It's fraught with too many possible
problems as far as I'm concerned.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your assessment, and no one can
dictate what practices YOU should feel safe with and implement in YOUR
shop, but I wouldn't have any problem with the process described. Does
that make me an unsafe idiot? I don't think so (and no, you didn't
imply that), but there are lots of operations that can be developed
that while unfamiliar to some, are nonetheless safe and practical.

Moreover, I learned in a discussion on another forum that sometimes
other factors are involved. I was in a table saw safety discussion
with someone, thinking we were on the same page so far as basic
premises were concerned, until the other party revealed that he was so
afraid of using his saw that he bought a power feeder for it. That
changed the entire tenor of the discussion. Well, ended it actually.
There wasn't any point in me continuing.

hmmm... you are advocating PULLING the work piece through? What would
happen if the piece kicked back and the operator has a strong grasp on
the wood? Wouldn't that pull his hand INTO the BLADE? At least with a
kickback when one is standing WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, their hand
won't be drawn into the blade. The worse that would happen is a blunt
force injury or damage to items in the shop from the resultant airborne
missile. But no AMPUTATION.

Dave