George

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I needed to hang a large, 30 x 30, corner cabinet that SWMBO had me
build. I decided to use the angled cleat method hoping for maximum
strength since a TV will sit on it. Anyway...

I angled the blade on my right-tilt saw to 45d and put the fence on the
left of the blade. I was ripping a 4x27 inch piece roughly in half for
the cleats(I didn't want to try and squeeze a push stick between the
blade and the fence on the right.

Expecting that the piece would want to lift up cutting it on the left,
I clamped a feather board to my fence to hold down the piece. So far
so good, or so I thought.

I couldn't get a push stick to help me all of the way with the cut
because of the clamp and the feather board so I ended up pulling the
piece through from the back of the saw.

I know this was wrong, so what is the right way to do this, aside from
buying a new tool.

Push blocks. Narrow versions of what came with your jointer. Pieces of 3/4
stock, for instance, cut with handholds fore and aft, three-four inches
above the flat portion. Glue a chunk of mouse pad or other resilient
material to the flat bottom of one to use as both hold and push, leave a
1/4" hook on the heel of the other for the final.

Paint them some flashy color so they won't just look like another piece of
scrap and store them with your other push sticks on a shelf right of the saw
where you can grab one as required even if you forgot to preposition them.
Right next to the featherboards, for instance.