Karl Townsend

In addition to Yale, Budgit and Coffing also make good chain hoists. Don't
get to large a one. If something binds, you want to stall the hoist, not
pull the mounting out of the ceiling. Build your top mount stronger than the
stall force of your hoist. Also build your cage to take the stall force. A
dead-man set of pins to stop it from dropping would be easy to add and
greatly increase safety. (must pull on this or cage won't drop) You pay a
HUGE premium for single phase. Three phase is easy to find. Do you need
three phase for your shop anyway?

If you're interested, I have an old 1 ton Coffing hoist I'd sell cheap. It
needs a new brake installed. I was going to fix it, but found one in great
shape at an auction for less than the parts on this one would cost.

Karl

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:35:28 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Okay. We've gotten off track again.

What brand of electric hoist do you like or recommend? I am going to use
it
to pull engines.

In this case go for quality not price. Yale comes to mind but there
are others out there.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm