Charlie Bress

Since you know the measurement of the section in question, I would try
getting a quick telephone estimate from a fence company or two. This is not
a complex job and can be well enough priced as a sanity check. It is all in
how you phrase the question. Then ask the neighbor for a copy of his
estimate. If he has a price he wants you to share, he ought to have
something on paper to back himself up. Or maybe he is trying to get you to
pay for the whole thing.

Remember what Pres. Reagan said "trust but verify"

Charlie

"meirman" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice....

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:18:48 -0400 meirman
posted:

Am I obliged or at least in practice, if I want to get along with him,

I was concerned as much or more with how to get along with him as what
my legal resposibility is. I figured managing social relationships
related to property is as relevant to this group as legal problems
are, which often get discussed.

stuck paying so much for part of the fence replacement with my
neighbor. I was prepared to pay 1/2 of 1/3 which I thought might be
30 or 40 dollars, but he says half of the one part we share is $125.

Esp. since I don't think this part of the fence needs replacing
anyhow, for me that is a lot of money.

I ended up calling him a while ago and leaving a message that I
thought 250 was an awful lot of money for a simple 7 foot section of
fence and one 4x4 pole, especially when done by guys who aren't
carpenters or even repair guys full-time and who don't have a
home-improvement license. [Not positive they don't, but probably not.]
And I asked him if he had seen the quality of their work. [Probably
not**] And that the current section was fine and just needed a couple
spiral nails and some wood putty and a coat of paint. (there's a crack
in one 2x4 that isn't affecting the fence, but he thinks it matters.]

Ant that it seemed like too much and too much to commit to in advance
since I don't know the quality of the work.

**He knows them from church. Some people who are very religious can
still be bad carpenters... and not even know it.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.