EXT

Had a similar problem a few years ago. I was having water drip into my
finished basement through an access door in the ceiling. We matched the
dripping to times of rain and had eliminated all plumbing leaks, as a
bathroom was very near the access door.

The final source of the water was a split in a fibreglass shingle. The water
followed the plywood roof sheathing to the next seam, dripped onto the
insulation and down to the ceiling vapour barrier. It then followed an
opening in the vapour barrier where a plumbing vent pipe went down within a
wall. The vent pipe made a 90 degree turn just above the access door in the
basement. The water followed the pipe down to the elbow and then dripped
through the door edges. This all took about 3 days of rainy weather to trace
the source of the water.

On the first dry day, a tube of silicone caulk plugged the split (along with
a number of others that were starting to crack) and elimininated any more
water gaining access.

Water can come through anywhere. In my opinion soaked insulation would not
occur with high humidity, but can be caused by a rain leak, supply or drain
plumbing leak or condensation on cold water pipes or condensation lines.
Keep looking for the source it is somewhere.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I noticed my carpet was moist in a spot in my house. So I knew
something was not right.
I went into my crawlspace and saw where the insulation was soaked
especially near the center of the house near where plumbing pipes are.
There were some small puddles of water. In the past I have had a leak
in my condensation line from my air conditioner that caused the same
problems.
I first went to check my water meter to see if there was a
property-side leak in my plumbing system...no indication of that.
There was no smell to indicate drainage leak from sewer discharge.
Plus, most of the water was in the insulation...just some water puddle.
I heard no dripping. I called the on-call plumber and he suggested it
was more likely the AC based on the conditions I described.
I had the AC repair come and they determined it was not the
condensation line or refrigeration line. He told me that he didn't
think it was plumbing or Id have a lot more water in the crawlspace and
would have noticed wet areas in areas of the house where plumbing is.

He told me it was probably moisture build-up from humidity. Since it
was in the center of the crawlspace and was dry near the crawlspace
entrance. Does this sound plausible?
The insulation is soaked, I have foundation vents and plastic on the
crawlspace soil floor.

Any ideas on what is going on? remedies??