G Henslee

Todd H. wrote:
meirman writes:

Am I obliged or at least in practice, if I want to get along with him,
stuck paying so much for part of the fence replacement with my
neighbor. I was prepared to pay 1/2 of 1/3 which I thought might be
30 or 40 dollars, but he says half of the one part we share is $125.

Surveys are taken as a standard practice in all real estate
transactions I have ben involved in. One of the things a survey tells
you is where a fence is on your property or the neighbor's side of the
lot line. In all cases I've dealt with (albeit only 2), the fence is
on one side or the other.

You may wish to review your survey and see if this thing is even your
problem to fix at all.

I'd ask the same question of any home owner's association if there are
any local covenant and agreements involved.

Finally, I'd consult a local real estate attorney for a short bit with
both pieces of the above info in hand and ask for a determination of
my liability in this case, and then act accordingly.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

This person can't afford 125 bucks to repair a fence and you send them
to a lawyer? Oh wait, that's after they hire a surveuyor at $100 bucks
an hour.

Great advice.