George E. Cawthon

nospambob wrote:
Suggest check with maker of the brand for shelf life issues. Usually
a made on date code on the can for reference.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:09:59 -0500, "Art Lindquist"
wrote:

A friend of mine has a table he wants to finish, in semi gloss polyurethane.
He has about 3/4 gallons ea. of satin and gloss both the same brand. Rather
than spend the money for semi-gloss and have more unused material. He asked
if he could mix the two and come up with something in the middle of gloss
and satin. It sounds possible, but I have no experience with such a mix.
Has anyone done this before?

You always want to test, but I haven't had any
problem with old polyurethane. I currently have a
part gallon that is at least 10 years old but
possibly 15 year old. I used it recently. It was
kind of lumpy but became smooth with stirring and
a little thining. Setting was no problem, as I
always add a dryer.

In fact, I have a quart can, (little dab in the
bottom with a 1/16" thick hard skim and liquid was
lumpy and thick), that I used 2 days ago on a
board. It was a little slow in drying (about 1
day, instead of 6 hours) but otherwise ok. The
can still has a sales tag from a store that went
out of business over 15 years ago. About time to
retire that can.