Unquestionably Confused

I'm experimenting with turning woods black and have used steel wool
and vinegar but a friend said that tannin first then the steel wool
and vinegar will ebonize just about anything. The problem,,, where can
I get tannin or tannic acid. I've used tea leaves but I think there
has to be something more...well, more

I take it you never tried a simple Google search?

Type in Tannic Acid for a few more than 99,000 hits. You don't even
have to follow the hits though. On the top right of the results page
there is this link:

http://shop2.chemassociates.com/shop...annicacid.html

You can buy the dry tannic acid reagent there.