Lee Michaels

"SteveB" wrote

"carl mciver" wrote

Why a hoist and not something like a scissor lift? To use a standard
scissor lift you'd have to make arrangements to either lower the base of
the
lift to ground level, or raise ground level with a ramp.
Genie lifts do what you are describing, in a platform lift, which is a
telescoping beam arrangement that goes up and down. I modified one to
move
200# about six feet, but you can get them in all sizes. They make gobs
and
gobs of different kinds of machines.
http://www.genielift.com/
Used might be the way to go, but I've never shopped for 'em.

I tell ya, if one can stand the nit pickers and ankle biters here, there
is a great fountain of knowledge and ideas!

Your idea is outstanding. I don't mean to pop yer balloon, but someone
beat you to the idea via a private e mail.

I would have never thought of it. I looked up 2 ton electric chain
hoists, and came up with about $1700 for a name brand. Plus, all the time
and effort, and hassle of making something that might be dangerous at
worst.

This fella says he did the same thing, and paid $1500 for it from a rental
place. Heck, since it will be stationary, I can get one with a fried
drive motor, so long as the scissors work okay. It's only going to be a 4
or 5 foot rise, as the lift deck is about three feet off ground level
already.

So, kudos to you and the other fellow for thinking outside the box. (I
would give his name, but I think he wanted to avoid the flaming going on.
He knows who he is.)

We will be going to the cabin Friday, then on a trip through Northern
Nevada, and up to Jackpot, then back to the cabin to meet relatives for
Labor Day.

So much to do. Going to do some fancy iron work, some gates, some stair
railings out of Indital stuff, just a lot.

That scissor lift is going to be handy.

And safe, too. Already OSHA approved to lift people. Guard rail. Toe
kick. You couldn't ask for more.

Sounds like a plan. I never thought of using a scissors lift to lift
anything that high. But they lift things into the air much higher than that.

What I have used as a scissors lift is a work table for assembling wood
projects and welding. Both were home made work stations. They used a hand
crank and a threaded rod. But they only had to lift or lower things a foot
or so for the most part.

But you are right. There is enough things out there in the world along these
lines that you should be able to come up with something that meets your
needs.