Pat

Steve W. wrote:
"Modat22" wrote in message

I need to make sure it won't explode and was thinking about letting it
sit in the sun open for a few days then fill it completely with water.

Any other ideas?

The way I do them is real simple. Drain tank of fuel. Dump in a couple
gallons of alcohol, slosh that around real well. Now put in 1/4 tank of
HOT water with some Simple Green in it (lowers the surface tension so it
gets into the tighter areas easier) Then dump it out. Then I connect up
the exhaust from a good running 4 stroke (no oil burners or two strokes,
oil fumes may ignite.) and let it fume for 1/2 hour or so. Now you can
braze or weld without problems. Filling with water makes it hard to do
work on the tank because it acts as a heat sink.
Done 30 or more and still have all my fingers, toes and hair....

Steve W.

I used to watch snowmobile "techs" dump out the gas from the tank of a
Ski Doo by turning it over..... then they would turn it right side up
and pass a torch over the filler neck....... VA-WOOOM.!!!!!! there would
be a large flaxh from the filler neck and the resultant downward force
from the blast would compress the springs on the front skis and then the
whole machine would jump into the air when the spring would
return....... they would repeat this a couple of times until the filler
neck produced no more flashes!!! Must have been the cold air
protecting them (grin)
Pat

--
Email: patlandy_at_verizon.net
HELP GROW THE ECONOMY, SUPPORT THE FAIRTAX.