carl mciver

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:cQrMe.51391$DW1.32259@fed1read06...
| I want to make an elevator of sorts for our newly acquired cabin. This
is
| because moving any appliances in and out is a bear the way the stairs,
| railings, walkways, etc. are located.
|
| I want to make a section of handrail removable, and make a hoist maybe 48"
| square for lifting items like fridge, furniture, and wheelchair bound
people
| up to the level of the porch, a distance of about 8 feet.
|
| Total weight I would guess at 1,000# max, and that is figuring at the
most,
| a fridge and two people. Platform would be about 250#.
|
| So, I would put in a 2,000# capacity hoist.
|
| Any suggestions of brand names? I imagine it would be used maybe 25 times
| year.
|
| Steve

Why a hoist and not something like a scissor lift? To use a standard
scissor lift you'd have to make arrangements to either lower the base of the
lift to ground level, or raise ground level with a ramp.
Genie lifts do what you are describing, in a platform lift, which is a
telescoping beam arrangement that goes up and down. I modified one to move
200# about six feet, but you can get them in all sizes. They make gobs and
gobs of different kinds of machines.
http://www.genielift.com/
Used might be the way to go, but I've never shopped for 'em.