Ken Sterling

Recently got a pattern makers vise (see
www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3516 for a close cousin) and
want to put wood inside the jaws so it doesn't chew up the finish on the
furniture I'm working on. It's Taiwanese cast iron, quite well finished,
but doesn't have mounting holes through the jaws to attach the wood
liner. I shattered a valve cover many years ago drilling a hole in it so
I know there are some things you shouldn't do drilling cast iron. So how
should I support it, what kind of drills should I use, and what should I
watch out for? I'll be drilling 4 fairly small holes, probably about
3/16" through the thinnest part of the web.

Thanks

Jim

Glue your wood to some soft copper sheeting which has been cut to
"hang over" the jaws on the vise....
Ken.