Andy Hall

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:01:27 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
They are very different. I know which was 'championed' by Thatcher and
which is evident in the management in question. In both cases it's
selfishness at the expense of others.

I disagree. Can you find anything where MT specifically said that
promotion of self at the expense of others was a virtue?

I'm fairly certain that she never said it; but just look at her actions. And
look at where she got her support.

I did and I have. I don't find anything selfish at all. I do make a
distinction between selfish in the sense of explicitly doing so
directly at the expense of others as opposed to being self sufficient.

For some reason, some people confuse the two and automatically equate
anything that encourages people to deal with their issues themselves
and not through some collectivist arrangement as being selfish.

I don't take that view. I can completely reconcile an approach of
sorting things out for myself and not expecting others to do so.
Provided that I don't do anything explicitly to the detriment of
others, then I think it's a reasonable approach. Moreover, I can't
find anything in MT's policies that go beyond that into suggesting to
people that they advance themselves at the expense of others.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl