Rex B

Just ran across this site.

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/gears.shtml

Pretty much exactly what I planned to do. I had not thought of using the
boring head, but since I have a brand new 3" R8 head ($10) I can use that.

- -
Rex B

Rex B wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:

As the Enco 1024 is an import it is almost certain that you have
module [metric] gears and not P.D. [inch] gears.
See Law's book on gear cutting for indepth discussion of P.D. v
module. see http://www.powells.com/biblio/66-0852429118-1

I have this book and find it to be a valuable reference in
addition to telling you how to cut both involute and cycloid
gearing. Powell's is good to deal with.

OK, I've been eyeing this book for a while, so I ordered it. With all
respect to Powell, Amazon had it for half via some guy in Oklahoma.
I'll probably wind up grinding a single-point form tool and making a
couple of these on my minimill. I will also have to make a mandrel and
find a reamer or two. I'll probably need a better grinder, or at least
a new wheel.
And I'll get to try out that indexer I lucked onto a while back.
It's ratio is 1:48, so I won't even need to use the plate to cut this
16-tooth gear. Just cut a tooth, crank 3 times, cut, repeat 14 more
times, right?
Looks like I need to source some 1.375 round stock in leaded steel.
What alloy do I need to specify? This is a quick-change gear, so
doesn't need to be high-strength. I suspect a brass gear would do the job.
I'd enjoy this project more if I had the liesure time to give up a
day for it. I just hate having a nice tool partially assembled, so I'd
better get on it.

Much thanks for all the help, guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rex Burkheimer
Ft Worth