nightjar

"dkh" wrote in message
We are refurbishing our bathroom and my wife fancies a couple
of the baths in Homebase.

they are largeish double ended ones. I think i had heard rumours about the
robustness of 'DIY Shed' baths before with a minimum acceptable thickness.

With this in mind I asked the thinkness of the said bath (antilles) and
was
told it was 5mm acryllic.

Is this acceptable or should i stick to a plumbers merchant ? Trouble is
that we have been to a few this is my wifes preferred bath.

I prefer 8mm, but a lot also depends on how well the bath is supported.
There should be a solid, usually ply, moulded-in support under the bottom of
the bath, with a central support leg as well as two pairs towards the ends.
You should also look for timber moulded under the bath edge. That is so that
you can screw up into it from the bath edge support timbers, which should be
firmly fixed to the walls or, on sides away from a wall, supported from the
floor on a strong frame.

Colin Bignell