Capitol

TheScullster wrote:

"Capitol" said:

Was this BT? If so, I am not surprised. There are a number of exchange and
line faults, which come and go for very little apparent reason.

No, we are Kingston Communications in Hull.
Still don't understand how we can receive calls but have no dial tone!
One line comprises two wires, both required for speach transmission (I
thought).
Surely these are either connected or not connected?

Kingston uses mostly the same equipment as BT. From your description I
understood that the calls received were to your answerphone, when you
were not present. I guess I'm wrong. Yes you only have two wires at your
end of the line, but at the exchange a device known as a hybrid splits
the signal into effectively 4 wires. There is frequently a current
sensing relay operated by you lifting the phone, if this fails to
operate, then you wouldn't get dial tone.

Regards
Capitol