John Rumm

Doesn't have to be 4mm^2, you can wire radials with 2.5mm^2 and use a
20amp MCB. This is what I have done for a lot of new circuits to the
study and places like that in our house. It's much easier in many
ways than a ring.

Yup, sorry I ommited part of my reasoning there... there is the same
conduit issue getting the wires from the CU to the loft as there is for
the socket drops. There is currently room for at best I would guess four
2.5s and it struck me that a 32A radial would be more use than a pair of
20A ones.

Thinking about it though, you plan might work if we did one ring for the
kitchen (only room with any sizeable appliances) and then a couple of
20A radials for the rest of the house.

--
Cheers,

John.