Set Square

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

I hope that doesn't mean that you've thrown away a perfectly good
hot water storage system and replaced it with a combi boiler!

Alas it wasn't perfectly good as the previous back boiler was about 30
years old, and I was informed its cast iron heat exchanger was on its
last legs. If I had got my arse into gear two years ago it might all
have been cheaper.

But, for better or worse, it's been replaced by a condenser because as
I'm sure a lot of uk.d-i-y knows, you now legally have to (unless
there's some reason you can't, e.g. not being able to physically fit
one). Although no doubt it's possible to find a certain type of
plumber who'll fit whatever boiler you want anyway.

You appear to be under the impression that 'condensing' and 'combi' are
synonymous - which they ain't!

You are right about the current regs requiring you to have a condensing
boiler. But that does *not* mean that you have to throw away your stored hot
water system in favour of (allegedly!) "instant" hot water from a combi. It
is perfectly possible to have a condensing boiler which provides stored hot
water in addition to running the central heating.
--
Cheers,
Set Square