Wayne Cook

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:27:26 GMT, Ignoramus9179
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:50:50 -0500, Wayne Cook wrote:

Another way is to cool the air coming out of the compressor before
it gets to the tank. That way you don't even have to worry about
draining the tank. If you'll look at my setup here you can see what
I'm talking about.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/comp.htm

As you can see I put the cooling lines between the compressor and
the tank. It then enters into a cyclone tank which separates the water
from the air before going up into the tank. I put the check valve to
the tank after the separator tank so I can use a solenoid valve in the
bottom of the separator tank to do the unloading. This in effect
drains the separator every time the compressor shuts off.

I've yet to get any real water out of the drain valve of the tank in
1 1/2 years of running. I did get a little bit of mist once but that's
it. The piping into the shop is 1 1/4" and I've got a main drop leg
which all my current outlets get there air at. So far I might of
gotten a couple table spoons of water out of this leg.

It would work even better with a good cooling coil but this was easy
and fairly cheap for me at the time. A air conditioner condenser coil
would work great for this since they're made for the high pressure
side of a system and have a fan built in. The evaporator coil like
you've got is good also and is smaller.

I am quite awed by your compressor. I am highly surprised that such a
big pump can be effectively driven by only a 7.5 HP motor, with
seemingly big pulley.

I only rarely have trouble when it comes to winning who's got the
biggest contests with it. :-)

I think I stated on the web site that the 7.5 is a little on the
small side. I'm pushing it to the limit (though so far it's worked
fine). I do have a 15hp to put on there but I've not had the free time
to do the needed modifications (I'll have to rework the motor mount on
the tank).

As for the pulley size keep in mind that it's a 1750 motor and the
pulley on the compressor is rather large. I calculated the pulley size
using formula's I found in Machinery Handbook which gave me estimates
on CFM of the compressor and the like. There was also a table for HP
per CFM so using the two I was able to calculate the proper rpm for
the compressor to run with 7.5HP input and calculate the pulley needed
for that rpm. When done and tested it turned out to be pretty close.

I've got a larger pulley on the 15HP motor which will speed up the
compressor some. But I'm not going to go twice the speed that I'm
running with the 7.5HP so that I'll have some head room (plus I don't
want to wear the compressor out to fast).

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm