Chris

Default anemometer mechanism

Peter Scott wrote:
"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message

I'm sure the collected wisdom of uk.diy can help with this. I'm making
some electronics for a rather unusual sculpture which reacts to
environmental conditions. One of its triggers is wind speed. I have
googled for ages trying to find someone who supplies anemometer
mechanisms, the 3 cup sort of thing, which will attach to a nearby
building.

It does not need to be calibrated or anything, just output a pulse train
which has frequency proportional to wind speed.

Maplin used to do one, but don't seem to any more. The only other ones I
can find are pukka meteorological ones which cost about 500 pounds. If
anyone knows a supplier for the maplin-type thing I would be most
grateful. I have in the past diy'd an anemometer but the bearings proved
to be problematic so I would rather buy a mechanism. I will however be
doing the electronics myself!
--
Tim Mitchell

How about:
Two or three half ping-pong balls
Fix half-balls onto shafts which are attached to a hub
that can rotate
Get an old PC mouse from junk box
Remove PCB
Connect one rotor somehow to above shaft
Use output from sensor for pulse train

Oh yes, then turn it upside down under a hat of some sort

Peter Scott

You could try some (or all) of the Dallas 1-wire weather station:

http://www.ibutton.com/weather/

HTH,

Chris.

--