T i m

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:50:09 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Capitol" said:
Was this BT? If so, I am not surprised. There are a number of exchange and
line faults, which come and go for very little apparent reason.

No, we are Kingston Communications in Hull.
Still don't understand how we can receive calls but have no dial tone!
One line comprises two wires, both required for speach transmission (I
thought).
Surely these are either connected or not connected?

You would have thought ...

Do you have a multimeter ... you should see about 50V DC across the
pair (a bit less when you lift a handset).

All the best ..

T i m