Steve W.

"Modat22" wrote in message
I need to make sure it won't explode and was thinking about letting it
sit in the sun open for a few days then fill it completely with water.

Any other ideas?

The way I do them is real simple. Drain tank of fuel. Dump in a couple
gallons of alcohol, slosh that around real well. Now put in 1/4 tank of
HOT water with some Simple Green in it (lowers the surface tension so it
gets into the tighter areas easier) Then dump it out. Then I connect up
the exhaust from a good running 4 stroke (no oil burners or two strokes,
oil fumes may ignite.) and let it fume for 1/2 hour or so. Now you can
braze or weld without problems. Filling with water makes it hard to do
work on the tank because it acts as a heat sink.
Done 30 or more and still have all my fingers, toes and hair....

Steve W.