John Cartmell

In article , Andy Hall
wrote:
Very near all the blame should be placed at the door of grossly
incompetent management. All the blame should be placed at the door of
Thatcherism - even though some was from people pre-Thatchering Thatcher.
Some Union official and members took the idea of 'self-self-self' very
seriously and did a great deal of harm. Thatcher encouraged the idea and
made it 'respectable'.

I think that you are confusing the difference between being selfish and
taking individual responsibility for one's self.

The first of these is not desirable if it is at the explicit expense of
others. However, I see nothing wrong at all with an individual taking
responsibility for themselves and the state or other collectivist
organisation having as little involvement in that as possible. The two
are quite different.

They are very different. I know which was 'championed' by Thatcher and which
is evident in the management in question. In both cases it's selfishness at
the expense of others.