Andy Hall

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:48:36 +0100, "Hardworker"
wrote:

I've have had a Zanussi DW24 slim line dishwasher for about 4 years now, The
wheels on the baskets have now totally failed and are falling off annoying
the wife and hence annoying me.

I refuse to pay Zanussi approx £5 per wheel (16 total) for spares!! There is
also a burning smell which I think a piece of plastic melted to the heating
coil (not too big a problem), and the main filter has a hold stuck together
with super glue.

Given what I consider are extraordinarily high prices for spares Zanussi
charge!!! I am looking to purchase a new NON Zanussi dishwasher (Slim line).
Can any one recommend a good brand/model which has competitively prices
spares.

I have had Zanussi products many years ago and ended up spending a
fortune over the years on these wheels, the pegs that support them and
solenoid valves.

I have looked at Miele as a serious contender but at approx 2.5-3 times the
price of a other dish washer comets have them in stock £829.95 I am
wondering if their really worth the extra?

Definitely. I have three of their appliances (washer, dryer,
dishwasher) with a combined service life of around 25 years. All
perform as well as on day 1 and the appearance has not deteriorated
either.

I have the G698SC model, which at the time of purchase was £750 or so
(now about £900)and came with a 10 year parts and labour warranty.
This one is now superceded, I think, but has all the bells and
whistles.

There are a number of good features throughout the range, but those
that I think are most useful a

- Very quiet indeed in operation

- Cutlery tray in the top rather than a basket, provides more space
and cleaner cutlery because each item is separately placed.

- Easy to keep clean with no annoying crevices

Also is there any recommended placed to purchase. I (don't throw things
now) like comets or curry's as I can always turn up at the shop if there's a
problem. That is why I am a bit wary of internet sellers.

I don't think that it makes any difference. Legally, the retailer
has responsibility if there is a problem. The manufacturer's
warranty is a convenience that allows them to pass execution of that
responsibility to the manufacturer.

There's no real value any longer in bricks and mortar shops because
they don't typically have the product you want in the showroom and you
have to often buy unseen anyway. They are certainly not interested
in dealing with your service problem in a retail store.

Internet traders as well as the stores typically act as order takers
and the manufacturer ships them directly. Therefore the issue
becomes a cash flow and margin one in terms of the viability of the
business. Undoubtedly there are internet traders who have gone
spectacularly bust in the same way that retail stores have. For
example, I don't suppose that a large on-line retailer like
EmpireDirect is any more or less likely to go broke than a catalogue
operation or Comet.

In my mind there are four issues, in this order:

- Quality of the product

- Manufacturer reputation, service operation and spares availability
for the anticipated product lifetime

- Ensuring that the financial investment is secure.

- Product price

I am completely satisfied with Miele's service operation. I have had
to use them on a couple of occasions (one washer, one dryer) for minor
issues (a switch) and they are superb. You book an appointment (day
and morning/afternoon) and on the day before you can call their
automated number after 1800 once the engineers are scheduled and get a
time to within 2hrs of the visit. The engineer phones as he is
leaving his previous appointment so you know pretty accurately when he
will arrive. Those that have visited have been good people and well
organised.

I've been involved in the past in the service aspect of a business in
a different sector where people are pretty demanding and am completely
intolerant of anything less than top flight service. I really can't
fault Miele in any way on service.

You can buy spares if you like, but they are at least as expensive as
Zanussi. However, it is unlikely that you would need any after 4
years, so if you consider the spares cost over the 15 or so year
design life of Miele products it really doesn't matter.

The manufacturer warranty financing is done through Domestic and
General. The only dealing with them is to send the product
registration on purchase. After that, everything is handled directly
with Miele and nobody else is involved.

So, this leaves the only remaining issue being one of protecting the
investment in the event of somebody not performing somewhere. The
simple solution to this is to purchase using a credit card or a 6
month interest free credit agreement with all monies paid off. In
this way, the credit supplier is on the hook legally with the retailer
and it really doesn't matter if the retailer goes broke.

THerefore, considering all the above, I would suggest that a safe and
sensible thing is to buy a Miele product from the cheapest source
using a credit card. I really wouldn't fret about whether that is a
bricks and mortar shop or an online place. Assume that the service
from either will be non-existent other than to sell you the product
and place the order on the manufacturer.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

--

..andy