Michael Mcneil

Default First attempt to spray MDF

"Sean Delere" wrote in message

Anything you like, so long as it's not water based. Water-based
directly onto the surface of MDF will raise fibres. Seal it with a
real MDF primer first, or even shellac.

I wonder if I could spray MDF sealer rather than paint it on. The Rustins
stuff I use is really thin already.

Getting the hang of it will be the first hurdle. Getting the settings
correct will be the next and finally spraying into corners and crevices.

Go past the object with the gun don't go over the same place twice until
it has dried and cover it as quickly and evenly as you can. It won't be
so bad with a grey or whatever undercoat as you can brush any runs out.

Getting the amount of aperture in the nozzle just right is a matter of
trial and error and a lot depends on the viscosity. But you can spray
anything from water to fibreglass -even concrete. As you would expect
though, there are varieties of spray guns and there are varieties of
solvents.

Whilst you might use the same solvent for acrylic that you
would for concrete, several varieties of car paint will turn into a
useless mess if you use solvent for one with the other.

I would get the Woolies tin of paint and some turps while you are on the
steep side of the learning curve. Have some fun with your new toy.