Default Digital Camcorder Problems

I have a problem with a JVC GR-D72US digital camcorder that I've had
for about a year and a half.

When in recording mode the LCD & Viewfinder shows redish and bluish
lines all accross. They are real close together. No image.
Everything works perfectly in playback mode.

If the lens cap is on, the camera displays a flashing lens cap message;
which is normal. When the lens cap is removed the symptoms as decribed
above appears.

It was working fine while I was recording something one day, and all of
a sudden the lines appeared all at once and it hasn't worked since
then.

Thanks