David

Owen Lawrence wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in message

In both cases sparks flew, but in neither case was there any difference
the cutting power of the bit or blade. Carbide is tough! YMMV.

It's hard yes and maintains its sharpness, but it is prone to shattering
on
sudden impact.

Oh, man! Now you've got me wondering exactly what "sudden impact" could
possibly mean. At 20k RPM I would think almost everything happens suddenly.
Let's do some arithmetic: We're talking 333 RPS. Suppose I'm moving at
one inch/sec, with two blades on the bit, that's about one and a half thou
per nibble. I don't know how fast the thing really turns when it's
cutting, so let's say it goes 10k (a low estimate judging from the change in
musical pitch); that's still only 3 thou at a time.

But point well taken. I certainly wasn't happy about hitting metal with my
router bits, and except for screw ups (no pun intended) I avoid it.
Nevertheless, I don't worry so much about it when it happens. I'm glad I've
never had a carbide anything shatter.

- Owen -

When you want a REAL thrill, hit a steel plate with a 10" carbide tipped
blade in a TS! I never did find the 24 carbide blade tips, but I sure
heard them hitting the inside of the saw, the pavement, etc! Luckily
none decided to head my way.

Dave