On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:23:12 GMT, "Billy Smith"
wrote:

I meant 8 in. wide as in 1 X 8 and resawing it so that you end up
with two pieces each 1/2 X 8.

AAAHHH.... you're looking for a zero kerf resaw saw. well, you're in
luck- I just upgraded mine. I'll let you have the old one, nothing
wrong with it at all except that it will only go up to 10" and the new
one does 14". just email me with your name, address, social security
and bank routing numbers and your mother's maiden name and I'll get
right back to you with shipping information.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm straddling the fence between being
a Neander and a modern woodworker.

Sounds painful. I'd bet you can get help for that.

I enjoy using hand tools for
the fun of it. I would like to at least trying to resaw a board by hand
just for the experience. I have a 3/4 HP band saw that does not seem
to have what it takes to resaw even a 4 in. wide board, so I have to
either get another band saw or learn how to resaw by hand. I know
that doing it by hand would be an enormous amount of work, but I
could use the exercise.

try a better bandsaw blade. one made for resaw....

Resawing by table saw is limited to boards of a width of about twice
the blade height and when I've done it (Delta Unisaw) it seems to slow
the saw down and makes the motor exude a foul smell, probably smoke.

better not to let the smoke out of your saw, now...