Bill Rubenstein

Brad:

It seems to me that this is a really good chance to make some of your
own tools.

You can buy a 1/4" drill blank and a 3/8" drill blank and make a 1/4"
round skew and a 3/8" round skew. Drill blanks are already hardened so
you only need to make and fit a handle and then grind the skew shape on
the end. Leave the rest of the tool round. Once you've used a round
skew in these smaller sizes you will not want to go back to manufactured
ones -- they do everything better. When you roll them they are
predictable. They don't vibrate as much as the standard shape so cut
better. And, your 1/4" drill blank will cost you about $1.50. You'll
have to buy an assortment of stuff to justify postage but for the $28.99
you could get about 10 tools.

If you want to make some fancier tools where you need to start with soft
tool steel, that is no problem either. You can buy 18" and 36" lengths
of O (Oh)-1 drill rod. Cut to length, grind or cut shape you want and
then harden and temper with a mapp gas torch, or, in a pinch, a propane
torch. There are plenty of instructions on the net for doing this. It
is easy to do and while the steel won't be as good as the commercial M2,
it is plenty good enough for small tools on small work or details on
larger work.

You can also make specialized tools from hex wrenches, screwdrivers,
square section metalworking bits (make a small beading and parting tool),...

The suppliers of this stuff -- any machine shop supply company, MSC,
ENCO, GRAINGER, KBC (One of KBC's locations is about a half mile from my
house!), etc.

Also you get the handles like you want them when you make the tools. I
use pretty big handles even on the small skews.

Bill

Brad Mularcik wrote:
For my chess piece turning project, I am considering some smaller tools. I
made a trial piece yesterday, and felt that my 1/2" skew was too big. I am
looking at the Crown 1/4" skew for $28.99 from Woodcraft. They also have a
5 piece set for $39.99. Anyone have any experience with these? I THINK that
I really only need the skew, but the small gouges might be nice to have.
$40 for the set sounds like it is too good to be true.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Brad Mularcik