Andy Hall

On 15 Aug 2005 07:18:33 -0700, "Nottingham Jon"
wrote:

dg

Thanks, dg. I haven't discussed it with the neighbours but, to be
honest, I wouldn't want to make them get a plumber in to move the
outlet - there isn't really an obvious alternative location without
completely resiting the boiler. I wondered if there was any kind of
deflector/bend/anything which could be fitted to the flue to prevent
the fan from blowing the exhaust into my yard quite so vigorously. The
same outlet was never a problem when it was an old-style
naturally-aspirated flue.

I could put up a fairly small perspex screen at the boundary to deflect
the flow, but it seems rather cumbersome. Any other suggestions anyone?

Depending on the boiler, there may be a couple of options:

- Some boilers can have a flue type consisting of a pair of 50mm
mUPVC plastic pipes (like plastic waste pipe) which can be routed
separately if necessary and over several metres (20 in some cases).
This could enable the flue to be routed to a different part of the
building without moving the boiler. The inlet often doesn't have to
be in the same place as the outlet.

Here's an example of a boiler that has this. Quite a number of other
manufacturers do this as an option.

http://www.keston.co.uk/downloads/pdf/cel25-b.pdf

- For boilers with concentric flue, the manufacturer may make
additional components that would allow the flue to be run up the wall
slightly and/or to direct the plume up at an angle.

For example, look at www.worcester-bosch.co.uk and navigate to their
product documentation for installers. As an illustration, there is
the flue info for the 30CDi which shows a whole variety of fittings
and installations that are possible.

I would ask the neighbour what the make and model of the boiler is and
then perhaps you can work with the installer to come up with a
solution.

I wouldn't put anything like a deflector close to the flue because
this is not an approved method normally and could have adverse and
dangerous effects on the flue behaviour

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl