Steve Peterson

You can machine brass with good tools, like carbide. Especially if you
can't see any damage, there probably isn't there. Of course, it almost
never hurts to hone your bits.

Steve

"Wayne" wrote in message
I am attempting to build a router table extension to my table saw. Due to a
measuring error while trimming the edge of the tabel with a 1/2 x 1"
carbide straight cut, I clipped the side off of a couple of 1/4 " brass
threaded insert screws. The bit more or less milled the brass level with
the side. There was a bit of a metalic hot smell and the bit and brass were
quite warm to the touch.

On inspection I can see nothing wrong with the router bit. There is no
discoloration from burning, no chips, and the edge feels smooth and sharp.
The project does not even seem to be ruined.

I know brass is softer than carbide, but its sure harder than wood. Is the
bit OK? Should I try touching up the carbide edge on the inside with a
diamond hone?

Wayne in Boulder CO