T i m

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:55:54 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:02:33 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Here is a 4x4 road car..

How often do you need 4x4 on a road (other than for taking children
200 yds to school)?

Well, playing devils advocate .. those who don't live on a road or
need to (safely) tow large trailers / horse boxes / caravan's etc?

As mentioned before my BIL has run a 2.5TDi Disco for 90,000 miles on
road (only took it off road recently for the first time!) but does tow
a big caravan maybe twice a year? Could he tow it with something more
fuel efficient but equally 'heavy', probably not. Does he 'need' it
for probably 90% of the rest of the time .. definitely not.

He can afford to drive it (at the moment) because he get's an
allowance as part of his salery and chooses to drive it because it's
suits his driving style (slow) and gives him confidence because of the
height of the driving position (he also has a bad eye). To be fair he
currently commutes to work by train (wasn't always so though).

He also believes it will keep his family safe which it may well do in
some circumstances but potentiallly to the cost of other folks /
families in more 'standard' sized cars?

What if we all adopted that stance, what would *they* buy then?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. If we want to get somewhere quicker / cheaper we go in my 218SD
Rover (so that must say something!) ;-)