Dan Bollinger

Robert! I resent this. Posting this twice in two different threads, on the
same day, creating two discussions is not only poor protocol, but falls
under MY definition of 'mother henning.' cluck, cluck, Robert.

Dan

Just a quick warning, take it for what it is worth. Note that the
ingredients of CA contain (prominently!) cyanoacrylate.

We have a bona fide research chemist in our group, and he has warned us
about using key filings or any other kind of non ferrous metals with
CA. According to him, the smoke that come off the metal in reaction to
being mixed/exposed to the glue is actually the molecules of cyanide
being released, and therefore you have a mild form of cyanide gas!

Just a heads up... I know there are those here that will intentionally
huff the smoke/fumes to be contrary and will come back here to announce
they are not dead.

But remember you basic chemistry classes... it makes sense! Even if it
doesn't, WTF is that smoke anyway? Why take a chance?

Just last year I went to a demo by a well known turner that claims that
one of the folks in his club can no longer turn as he was a fan of
using CA as finish (flood the surface, sand off and polish). After
about a month in the hospital they finally found out two things:

- Permanent nerve damage (tremors)
- Condition was consistent with cyanide poisoning

The conclusion was that as an avid turner, he finally hit his toxicity
point after about three years of that particular finish. He can no
longer turn.

Robert