Mike Henry

Do you have a manual for the lathe? Clausing apparently supplies 25
different versions which cover the various sub-models and engineering
changes so a generic manual version (like those sold on Ebay) might not be
as good as the correct version if you need to get into details.

The internal spindle taper is MT 4-1/2. Clausing will sell you a taper
adapter (to MT 3) for around $65 if you need one of those.

There is a teflon coating and Delrin (or similar) bushing) on the shaft
between the two motor pulley halves and that is where a lot of the failures
on these lathes seem to occur. A previous owner of my 5914 had neglected
maintenance on these items and the keyway between the pulley halves had
sheared off - twice! A replacement pulley was around $700-900 so it would
be worth checking out the pulley before using the lathe much. There is a
threaded rod protruding from the sliding pulley through the bottom of the LH
pedestal. Excessive wobble of that shaft is a sign that the pulley needs
attention.

The bushing is available from Clausing for around $25. A simple sleeve
might work, but the one supplied by Clausing has some features that would be
difficult to duplicate exactly, for me at least. The countershaft pulley
might have a similar arrangement, but I've never had mine apart to check it.
The assembly diagram in the 5914 manuals I have don't show the bushing but
Jo(lene) Olds at Clausing will know the part number. The bushing/sleeve
needs to be bored out a bit so ask her for instructions if you decide to
replace yours. Jacin on the Chaski board has refurbished one of these
pulleys, including re-coating the Teflon if you need to go that far.

I've no idea of the length of a manual 5C collet closer drawbar but do have
a lever-type closer if any info from that would help. Royal might be able
to supply the 5C collet sleeve and and spindle cap, if you need those.
Their prices will almost certainly be cheaper than Clausings, but I'd check
both before buying. Clausing prices seem to go in spurts and it seems to me
that the prices can undergo major bumps when they re-stock so you might get
lucky if they've had them on hand for a while.

Good luck on finding a decent steady and follower rest. Only a handful show
up on Ebay each year and the NOS examples of each that I have ran me over
$600 for the pair. Plaza Machinery may have some and I think that he
reproduces the steady for around $300. AIR, some time back I sold you my
unmachined set of castings for the MLA steady that is designed for a SB 9"
lathe. It should be possible to modify that for the Clausing 5900-series
lathe with a riser block. Andy Lofquist (MLA) seemed to think that was
perfectly feasible, but I found the original steady before I needed to
modify the MLA castings.

Mike

"Marty Escarcega" wrote in message
Looking for some info on the later model 5900 series lathes. (blue base
and
gray lathe) Specifically the 5904. What is the internal spindle taper?
This
one has the hydraulic variable speed mechanism. I understand there are
parts prone to wear and expensive damage if not caught. What should one
look for? Also would like to know the length of the 5C drawbar should I
happen across one. Any other thoughts appreciated.

If anyone runs across a clunker that has some of its accessories, I'd be
interested in a Steady Rest, 5C collet closer and Follower rest. I have
heard of some adapting a Southbend 13" Steady fairly easily to them.
Thanks
Marty