bgreer5050

Default ID Theft From 1998

My dad has a bad mark on his credit for a debt that he never approved.
The
debt is from 1998 for $4200.

I sent a letter to Experian claiming it was a mistake or fraud.
Experian
came back with a response saying they investigated and found it was a
legetimate debt of my fathers.

I am going to write to the company that claims my father owes the money

asking for proof of the debt.

Its my understanding that it has to be removed after 7 years anyway
(which
is coming up), so should I ignore it?

Also, I have heard of an instance where the debt was sold or transfered
to a
collection agency and they start with of when they bought the debt or
took
over the collection of the debt; thus making it so the 7 years starts
over.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Did this crime take place so long ago that he will not be able to
file
a police report?