Edward W. Thompson

Default Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

Would I be correct to assume that all those that post opposing "Speed
Cameras" for whatever reason are those that break the speed limit?

I assume those of us that do observe the posted speed limits do not
have problems with speed cameras and the like. It seems to me that a
good 50% of road users (drivers) act like hooligans when driving and
anything to discourage their behavior is to be applauded, at least by
me.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:47:30 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

There should be a "camera ahead" sign a few hundred yards before
it...

er, all cameras (even temporay ones) do have signs a few hundred yards
before them. They have to.

Not in these parts they don't - they will have a sign as you enter an
area with cameras - but it may be miles from the actual camera - and
there might not even be a camera on the road that has the sign.

At that point or at the camera? Could be rather confusing, showing 30
on a bit of road where the limit is 60... Anyway all drivers should be

perhaps I did not explain well enough.... The suggestion is there should
be a specific sign for each and every camera - a standard design at a
standard distance from the camera - say 150 yards. The sign re-states
the speed limit in effect, with the reason that tells you why a camera
is there.

able to deduce the speed limit from the type of road and the
precensense or not of street lighting. Roads that do not follow the
general rules have small speed limit signs every 400yds or so.

you are right - most of them do. No harm in the 400 yard sign being
combined with the camera warning one if appropriate.

and importantly, includes the reason the camera is there. So for
example you get things like "30, Concealed Junction", or "20, School
Crossing".

Thats is not to bad an idea, but without the speed limit as that is
already clearly signed and can be deduced anyway. However it does
produces some funnies though, round here we would have "Straight Road"
and "Bends"

Warnings like "straight road" would only help illustrate that the camera
is a fund raiser and not covering a real black spot - hence should be
removed.

I doubt that such "education" would work in practice. It's much to
nanny state for my likeing, why can't people take any responsibilty
for themselves and others anymore?

Granted I would rather not robots issuing black and white judgement with
no ability to accept inputs of common sense in the first place. If you
must have them, them at least some form of explanation as to why they
are there, may help lower public hostility and reduce the siege
mentality they induce.