Waldo

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Waldo wrote:

Hi Paul,

I had a well drilled two years ago that was rated at 1 gpm. The thing
to understand is that the 1 gpm is the wells 'recovery' rate. In my
case the well is 220 ft deep and granite all the way. The water head
is 20 feet below ground level when no water is being consumed. The
well diameter is 6". With my pump at the 200 foot level, ...

That is a very unique situation--so much so as to be almost a unique
condition.

By calculation, you have something like a 1000 gal reservoir from which
to pump. Virtually no other well/aquifer condition will be anything
like that in an area that has only a 1 gpm recharge/test rate.

Yes, it is quite unique as compared to other areas and I consider
myself quite fortunate. We are on the Canadian Shield in eastern
Ontario. This well scenario is quite common around here except for
those on the shore of a lake or river where the water source is
somewhat nearer the surface and presumably comes from the nearby lake
or river. The original well for this place was over 400 feet deep and
was registered as a dry well. I guess it eventually started flowing
somewhat as the family that lived here put up with it for 22 years. My
first summer here I ran out of water, and rather than put with this
hassle, took a gamble and had the new well drilled about 200 feet
away. Turned out to money well spent.

Jack