SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a house that has all exterior walls made from poured concrete,
no wood framing at all. The insulation on the interior is something
I've never seen before and looks to be actually part of the form to
pour the concrete into. It is black in color, very porous yet solid,
lightweight, about 2" thick, and crushes very easily - even between two
fingers. When it is crushed it turns to a sandy texture and emits a
foul odor, kind of like rotten eggs. My first thought was pumice, but
this comes in one foot wide by four foot long sheets. The house was
built in 1953 so if anyone knows what construction methods were used
back then and has any info please let me know. I'm just hoping its not
some type of asbestos, or something else that is hazardous.

Thanks,
LW

sounds like asphalt board to me. It is available at the box stores in 4x8
sheets. Where I live they use it sometimes between the concrete and the
earth back fill.

Concrete wall above grade?

Do you live in a Edison house? Pictures please.