willshak

On 8/13/2005 11:49 AM US(ET), djay took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

All,

I've never replaced a garage door torsion spring and one of my two is
broken.
26" 1.75 ID .2187 Diameter RH spring is broke.
I probably should replace both at the same time, correct?
Reading through a couple of "how to" websites the replacement doesn't seem
all that difficult - just dangerous in a couple of instances and time
consuming.
For those of you who have accomplished this yourself or have had a pro do
it,
what would you recommend? I'm pretty handy (worked framing, plumbing,
electrical
[no garage door experience] finish carpentry etc for 7 summers) but I'm not
sure that
there are any additional tips/tricks (words of wisdom - I've seen the posts
before!) that
you could provide?

Thanks,

Djay

I've undone a few. Just open the door fully and then hold it in its
fully opened position with a pair of visegrips clamped to the rail at
the bottom edge of the door, so the door cannot fall down by itself
after you remove the spring.
Then just undo the outer nut on the eye hook that holds the back end of
the spring to the brace.
You might tie the end of the spring around the rails so it doesn't swing
down and break something after you have removed the nut from the eye
hook. Then, while holding the spring, untie the spring from the rail and
lower the spring by hand. After installing the new spring, you will
probably have to play with the placement of the outer and inner (lock)
nut on the eyehook to get the correct balance for the door.

--

Bill