Pop

Wow, I can see why you'd want a wide range of responses.

I think one of the first things I'd do is look into the local
requirements. I can't see any dept allowing occupancy for a home
unit without water, which is approximately what 1 gpm is. You
might end up in a situation where, about the time you get your
new place built, you discover now you have to come up with an
expensive different alternative from what you've already
discovered.

I've lived with a cistern: It was expensive and very har d to
keep chemically balanced for purity.

I think I'd have to talk with some other drillers etc., maybe the
local geo folk, to see if there's no sense drilling deeper just
because there's a salt field down there. How deep is it? How
far below IT will water be?
The ones you've talked to so far may just not want the job of
drilling deeper. It's more profitable to have quantity of wells
than deeper wells.
Also, not to be completely negative, but if there's that much
sea water down there, what's the chances there will be a
sinkhole/s in the future? Don't think that only happens in
Florida.

IMO, I'd try to look into those possibilities/questions first,
then decide what to do. It might be better to walk away from it.
I'm still stuck on them being able to get potability/occupancy
for a 1 gpm well. What says it won't vary much lower than that
over time? Where's the water coming from? Do they know? They
should.
I doubt very much a cert of occupancy can be gotten for what
they're trying to sell you?

HTH,

Pop

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
: Sorry for the long post, but I need some usenet points of
view....
:
: SWMBO and I are looking at homesites for a new custom home.
:
: We found a lot we like in an area we like (Northeast Ohio).
There are
: not a lot of available sites in the area to choose from. It's
one of
: 9 lots converted from an old farm field. 6 of the lots have
been
: sold.
:
: The developer drilled test wells on 3 of the lots, one of which
is the
: one we're interested in. Here's the problem.
:
: The test well was drilled 140', and tested out at only 1 gpm.
: talked to both the well driller that drilled the well, and
another
: that does work in the area. Both indicated that reliable wells
have
: been hit or miss in the general area. I'm told that 10 gpm is
about
: the minimum they like to see for unrestricted use, and 20 is
much
: better. The other two test wells tested at 10 and 15 gpm
respectively
: but are at the other side of the development, about 1500 and
2500 feet
: away respectively. None of the sites closer to the good wells
are
: available. The drillers indicate drilling deeper won't help
because
: there is a salt water aquifer farther down. Wells on the
properties
: surrounding the development range from 3 gpm to 20, with more
on the
: low side.
:
: I'm told with a low yield well, I can put in a storage tank of
500+
: gallons that is supplied from the well and it then allows
normal flow.
: I'm also told this would be adequate for normal household use,
but
: would not be sufficient for lawn watering or extensive
gardening, etc.
: I'm not too worried about the lawn, other than putting it in
: initially, but do garden and landscape extensively.
:
: Other option would be a big cistern, rain fed or supplied from
: truck.
:
: I"ve lived the last 10 years with a low yield spring feeding a
storage
: tank, and it has been a problem several times, so I am not keen
on
: that approach.
:
: My options as I see them:
:
: 1. Walk away and wait for a better lot. We do know of another
lot
: that is less desireable for other reasons but in an area of
reliable
: wells.
:
: 2. I've talked to the developer and they would probably be
willing to
: accept an offer that was contingent on us drilling another well
(at
: our expense) and finding a higher yield, at least 10 gpm. This
would
: cost about $2000-2500. The well drillers are more than willing
to do
: this, but think the probability of success is less than 50%.
FWIW the
: lot is 5 acres and if we picked a site at the opposite end of
the lot
: from the current site it would be about 250 feet closer to the
two
: better wells.
:
: I'd like to hear from others with low yield well experiences
and
: general opinions as to which way to go. Right now I'm leaning
toward
: option 2. We are not under any particular deadline to find a
lot,
: other than a general desire to build our new place and move as
soon as
: possible.
:
: TIA,