Rob Morley

In article , "David
Lang" says...
Hi

OK, didn't want to tie up the group - but!

I run Windows XP Home. Swimbo just purchased a new PC. I want to save My
Documents (550MB) to a CD so I can re load it on to the new machine.

Why not network the machines together instead?

The alleged Wizard keeps coming up with the error message that it can't
complete the task.

If that's the files and settings transfer wizard it will try to
transfer a lot more than just My Documents. If it's just My
Documents you want to move, then just write the folder manually to
CD.

I've shut down & re started, I've run Norton Win Doctor, Norton OBC and
Windows Registry Repair. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the CD device
driver. I've downloaded & tried Nero and Deepburner, both of which come up
with error messages.

I've tried 4 brand new CD RW discs - Memorex 16x-24x. I've been onto
Microsoft's alleged help FAQ and tried what they suggested.

Have you disabled XP's excuse for built-in CD writing before you
tried Nero?

If you put a CD into the drive you can read it no problem. I've tried just
about everything I can think of!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a very large hammer on standby - but I can't afford to lose any of my
stuff.

If it's that big a deal just take the hard drive out of the old
machine, stick it in the new one and copy the files that way.

Could I upload My Docs to the web somehow & download it again?

You could, but it's a sub-optimal solution :-)