John Rumm

David Lang wrote:

I've tried 4 brand new CD RW discs - Memorex 16x-24x. I've been onto
Microsoft's alleged help FAQ and tried what they suggested.

If you put a CD into the drive you can read it no problem. I've tried just
about everything I can think of!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a very large hammer on standby - but I can't afford to lose any of my
stuff.

Could I upload My Docs to the web somehow & download it again?

A quick and more direct solution to the file transfer problem would be a
network cable (or wireless lan cards if that sounds like too much
wiring). You can then share the "my documents" folder on the first
computer and then point the My Documents on the other at it across the
network. Thus maintaining only one copy of the folder and saving you
from ending up with various duplicate files in differing states of
update on each computer.

(You can also use the network tobackup critical information on one
computer to the other)

As to your CD problem:

what error message are you getting?
If you are using CDRWs, can you reformat one successfully?
Have you tried CDRs?
Has it ever worked in the past?

It could be the drive itself is shagged. If so, not to worry they cost
peanuts! ;-) (sounds like a good excuses for a upgrade to a DVD writer)

Failing use the writer on the new PC to do your backups via the network.

--
Cheers,

John.