Gary Owens

Ron;
I have visited you website before, but I hadn't found the mill
before. You've got the "newer" model, same idea though. I drove through
Titusville last weekend, how did I miss the steam engines. My wife probably
saw them and neglected to mention them. I like your shop, I just expanded my
10 X 12 metal building to 10 X 16. Having room to walk added a whole new
dimension to the shop, and yes, the 5000 btu air conditioner is way to
small, but still better than none at all. I also added a power line to the
shop, 220 30 amp, no more extension cord to pick up before mowing.
I haven't really had time to do much with the mill, spent time
rebuilding it, and now my wife has other projects backed up. Oh well.
gary
www.westcanalcrafts.com

"Ron Thompson" wrote in message
Glad to hear of another Nichols nearby. I am in Titusville. Here are
some pictures of when I got mine:
Click on "Nichols"

Well, I got the mill back together, and am now learning to make chips.
Yesterday I learned about "Climb milling".
As I never finished my apprentice program 40 years ago, I have never used
horizontal mill. I remember reading about it, but it was never a big deal
when I used Vertical mills, just chatter and bad finish. But using the
Nichols with a rack feed, It is a very big deal, the table took off, the
lever arm came up and whacked me in the elbow, and the machine made all
kinds of noises. That was a learning experience, not to be repeated.
I think my first project will be to make some "gibs" as 2 of the 4 gibs
are
broken. 1 had been braised but never ground flat, so that one took a lot
of
filing to make it work smooth. Any idea what they are made out of, its not
brass, more like cast.
Thank You to everyone who gave me suggestions during the rebuild.

gary
www.westcanalcrafts.com

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
Center, USA

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he
http://www.plansandprojects.com/My Machines/

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is
to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)