Andy Hall

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:15:46 GMT, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:18:56 GMT, "PC Paul" wrote:

I had a similar thing in Madeira (Portuguese). As I was approaching a ped
crossing while it was red, I slowed down. Someone stepped out just as the
lights changed to flashing amber, so I stayed slow to let them get across.
The car behind tooted, *and* the bloke stepped back sharply and waved me to
go through...

Would you happen to know what the actual rules are there Paul .. like
here the peds generally have right_of_way whereas I believe in the
States you can be done for 'jaywalking'?

It varies.

In the U.S., AIUI, jaywalking is generally if you cross other than at
an intersection or against a pedestrian signal light.

In the Netherlands, bicycles reign supreme. For example, in most
instances, AIUI, if you are in a car wanting to turn right, a bike
going straight on has right of way and you have to wait.

All the best ..

T i m

--

..andy