Harry Collingwood

Default VCR problem

Hi
As I am long retired from the TV repair business I am having trouble
diagnosing the following problem on my Thomson VCR mod R7000.
When a cassette in inserted and without any functions activated the
unit turns itself off.I emphasise no play or FF/RWD/Search or any
other command is entered,merely the inserting of the cassette trips
it off after a few seconds.If no cassette is inserted the unit stays
on.
I have the service manual and will strip it down on Monday but would
appreciate any tips re.this fault before I do.
Needless to say since I sold up ten years ago all my fault database
went with it and I really can't remember this fault.Thanks for any
input.Harry