PC Paul

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:18:56 GMT, "PC Paul" wrote:

I had a similar thing in Madeira (Portuguese). As I was approaching
a ped crossing while it was red, I slowed down. Someone stepped out
just as the lights changed to flashing amber, so I stayed slow to
let them get across. The car behind tooted, *and* the bloke stepped
back sharply and waved me to go through...

Would you happen to know what the actual rules are there Paul .. like
here the peds generally have right_of_way whereas I believe in the
States you can be done for 'jaywalking'?

Hmm...

Can't recall now what I knew at the time, but websites now say both that
peds have priority once they are on the road (like here), and that this is
widely ignored...

Apparently Portugal (Madeira is an island but very Portuguese) has the
highest ped death rate in Europe...