Rusty

"Owain" wrote in message
Rusty wrote:
I realise that mixer taps are made a bit differently here, mostly to
prevent syphoning from the hot water tank into the cold water system
in the case of low pressure.

That regulation never seemed to worry the DIY sheds much. A lot of the
foreign mixer taps they sell have a one-tube spout and will connect the
hot and cold supplies. Perhaps its legal to sell them, but not install
in the UK?

It's (AFAIK) legal to use them in the UK, provided both H & C are from the
tank. Commonly called 'bathroom' mixers, as kitchens traditionally need
the two-pipe spout to keep the mains 'drinking' water separate.

I'm pretty sure the kitchen mixer tap I got from Texas (as it then was) 10
yrs ago only has a single tube in the nozzle. It rotates through 360 deg.
without stopping. The 1960's mixer it replaced, which at one time were very
common, did have did have two tubes in the nozzle, but wouldn't rotate all
the way round. I can't think of a practical way to manufacture a 360
rotate with two tubes.

You tend to notice these things when you get an unexpected flood after
fixing the plumbing because of water running from hot to cold via a mixer
tap.

rusty